Quote for October

A Prayer for the Ephesians Eph. 3:14-21

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom His whole family in heaven derives its name. I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen!


Thursday, July 11, 2013

I am not Ready to Make Trips to the Emergency Room, Yet

One thing that (sort of) amuses me is the way our symptoms are referred to as being "flushing and diarrhea". Flushing, like my face just turns pink or red. Why doesn't anyone show a flushed face with sweat running down from the front hairline to the ear? How come they don't show the back of the head with wet hair on the neck? 

When I was suffering from diarrhea this week, I kept waking up at 4:00, 5:00, and 6:00 am bathed in sweat from my head to my waist. How I longed to take a shower, but I didn't want to wake up my husband. He takes care of buying the groceries, cooking meals and cleaning up when I am sick. He has been in pain from gout; so I wanted him to sleep. (I did bathe, but it was later in the day.) I seem to really overheat before dawn when cancer makes me sick.

Early on the third day of being sick, I got my body out of bed and pulled the pillowcase off the sweat-soaked pillow, as a reminder to wash the sheets. I managed to lift the shower chair out of the bathtub, and put it in place. I wasn't strong enough to take a complete shower, but I could sit down and get the water to run over my upper body and wash off the worst smells. So I succeeded in getting washed off before I started my day, but I was horribly weak.
  So, why not go to the Emergency Room and get an IV of electrolytes when I am so weak? I know that was probably what I needed because of the fluid loss from diarrhea and perspiration. 

OK, Update! 7-18-2013: I talked to my gastroenterologist about being dehydrated. He says I should be OK by just drinking water and Gatorade when I feel better. Unless I have very dark urine or no urine, my body should replenish its fluids in the next days after being ill.
So, what causes the weakness? Well, I am somewhat dehydrated, but it's the cancer making me feel weak. I have been having the D-word and feeling ill for nearly 2 weeks. My face is flushed. That's just carcinoid syndrome.

I am not ready to begin making visits to the ER, yet. I guess it's just an attitude. I am not ready to begin that pilgrimage that will go with me for the rest of my life. Other patients write of the strong pain that develops later in the progress of carcinoid cancer. They go in for shots of dilaudin or other painkillers to relieve chest and abdominal pain. Others have heart and lung problems, and, of course, our livers begin to fail. I don't want to go from France to an ER in 21 days. So for now, I am depending on Gatorade and fresh fruit to help adjust my electrolytes. I am getting stronger every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment