Quote for October

A Prayer for the Ephesians Eph. 3:14-21

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom His whole family in heaven derives its name. I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen!


Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Finding Encouragement in the Bible

Hi,


As I looked over that stats on this blog, I saw someone had located My Journey to Joy by entering the key words "finding encouragement." They were linked to my earlier blog about finding encouragement on the Internet. I wonder if this helped them. It recounted how I was in pain from carcinoid and looked on my computer for some hope. I didn't mention that I had come here with a prayer in my heart that God would lead me to something that would work for me.

My earlier posting recounted how I found a blog belonging to a Christian carcinoid patient: dgwhealthnews.blogspot.com. I was encouraged to find this because it meant I was not alone. Also, Dennis G.W. writes such an excellent email called "The Encourager" which is attached to his blog. I hope that reader went on to read Dennis' blog.

I can't go back and fix the past, but I can offer some encouragement here. One time when I felt like my cancer battle had me wandering in the wilderness, I had prayed hard for help. The next morning I was making a cup of tea, and to my amazement a preacher on TV spoke exactly to my situation. I didn't even know who he was. I had turned on the TV to see the news, and God sent me the word I needed.

It was a sermon that referenced Psalm 57. In this psalm David had fled from Saul and was hiding in a cave. David had been anointed the next King of Israel while Saul was still the current King. David writes:
Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me,
for in You my soul takes refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
Until the disaster has passed.

I cry out to God Most High
to God, Who fulfills His purpose for me.
He sends from the heavens and saves me
rebuking those who hotly pursue me;
God sends His love and His faithfulness.

I am in the midst of lions;
I lie among ravenous beasts--
men whose teeth are spears and arrows,
whose tongues are sharp swords.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth.

They spread a net for my feet--
I was bowed down in distress.
They dug a pit in my path--
but they themselves have fallen into it.

My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music.
Awake, my soul!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.

I will praise You, O Lord, among the nations;
I will sing of You among the peoples.
For great is Your love, reaching to the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let Your glory be over all the earth.
Psalm 57: 1-11

A psalm of David.
NIV except that I capitalize pronouns refering to God, and the NIV does not.

Other Psalms of encouragement include 40, 91 and many more. That preacher that I just happened to find on TV was Joel Osteen. At that time I did not know who he was. God just made sure I was there to hear what he had to say.
Thanks,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment