Quote for October

A Prayer for the Ephesians Eph. 3:14-21

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom His whole family in heaven derives its name. I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen!


Saturday, April 17, 2010

Carcinoid Update

On Tuesday, April 13, I went to see my oncologist for my regular check-up and I got my treatment. My cancer symptoms have been mild for several weeks, and my numbers from cancer markers have been low. I don't even seem to be red-faced very often--which used to happen several times per day. So everything looks good on the western front. I know my Dad will be glad to hear that.

Dr. Z, the oncologist, showed me the MRI results in the database. He wanted me to see how good the pictures were. They are very clear and show organ by organ what is going on in my body. They give a more accurate look at what is happening than using a CT scan. He said those scans are not as clear. Seeing the quality of the pictures reassured me that things are probably OK. In a recent blog I expressed my frustration with not being able to see my micro tumors, but maybe God is healing them, so I should just shut up.

On the fasting blood sugar for Dr. Z (drawn April 5), I was at 107. That's much better than being at 121 on January 27. I have been avoiding sugary food as much as I can.

In the morning of April 13 I had the blood test run for diabetes. The sugar levels came back as OK. However, my internist also checked for Hemoglobin A (I think that's the right letter.) It was high enough to indicate that I am at high risk for diabetes, so I'll have to do an even better job at avoiding sugar. I will have to go to Curves again. That means I will have to leave school at 3:30
like i used to, in order to have some time and energy to exercise. I don't know where the energy will come from, but I will start out slowly.

Dr. Z looked up Octreotide, which is used to treat carcinoid, and found out that it raises blood sugar. So the drug that keeps me alive, may make me sick. I will still work on preventing diabetes. Like I said last week, I don't need another condition to juggle.

My neck pain is much relieved--Thank you for praying. All thanks to our God and Father for His healing hands. Right now my lower back is doing weird things that make it hard for me to straighten up after sitting, but I know we can fix that in physical therapy.

Love,
Gardener Sharon It is a beautiful day today!

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, I am glad that you are feeling better. I have been concerned about your sense of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon...Just came across your blog and I am truly grateful for having been lead to it. I am not a carcinoid patient but I have been tested for it the last four years and to this point have no diagnosis. I have very odd symptoms, some consistent with carcinoid but to date, no real diagnosis. I would deeply appreciate being able to ask you some questions, being your symptoms were not "classic" carcinoid at the beginning. Would it be possible to exchange emails? I am feeling so lost as to where to go or what to do next. Hope this message finds you feeling uplifted! Yours in Christ, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia,
      I am sorry i have not seen this comment. Of course, you can email me if you ever come this way again.
      I have been looking at the Stats page for the blog, and it has listed that there were no unanswered comments.
      I'm so sorry. Respond here again and I will have an email address just for the blog. Sharon

      Delete